Skip Navigation LinksCertificate of Residence

The City Clerk's Office issues Certificates of Residence exclusively for a student living in the City of Rensselaer ONLY and attending Hudson Valley Community College or is participating in one of it's courses. Students residing in other municipalities must go to the Clerk in that municipality. Those applying to other community colleges who reside in the County of Rensselaer should visit the Rensselaer County Bureau of Finance or call 518-270-2751.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a Certificate of Residence you must be:

  1. A continuous resident of New York State for at least one year immediately prior to your date of application.
  2. A continuous resident of the City of Rensselaer for at least six months immediately prior to your date of application.

Why do you need it?

A Certificate of Residence enables Hudson Valley Community College to charge your county for part of your tuition costs. Without a Certificate of Residence, you will be considered a non-resident of New York State and then have to pay additional tuition when you register.

How long is it valid?

A certificate is required to be on file at Hudson Valley Community College every semester for which you enroll. A Certificate of Residence is valid for one year only! Certificates are valid only if issued within 60 days prior to the start of classes.

Acceptable Proof

  1. Each document must be dated, include your name and permanent physical address. Documents with a P.O. Box will not suffice.
  2. Identification must indicate proof of New York State residency for 12 months and City of Rensselaer residency for 6 months. A New York State Driver's License issued 12 months prior to the date of application will fulfill the requirement for both as long as the applicant's address submitted to the College is the same.
  3. If the applicant has not been a resident in the City of Rensselaer for the full 6 months immediately prior to application, the City Clerk can pro-rate residency for the portion of residency within the 6 months. However, the student will be responsible for obtaining the certificate for the other portion of time from the municipality where they previously resided.
  4. Non-citizens are required to document their resident status.
  5. No claim of residency will be accepted based solely on your testimony or that of your parents, relatives, friends or other individuals. Students under the age of 18 must provide a school transcript or report card showing enrollment in the Rensselaer City School District.
  6. The standard of proof will not be compromised because an individual has left themself insufficient time to obtain acceptable proof

If you were born outside of the United States you will need the following:

  1. Naturalization papers
  2. Birth certificate indicating U.S. citizenship of parents
  3. Immigration papers indicating permanent residence in the United States

Processing Certificate of Residence

  1. The student is required to submit proof and sign the Certificate of Residence in the presence of the City Clerk.
  2. There is no fee required.

Certificate of Residence